Tuesday, March 08, 2005

My Family


This is my (only) family picture, obviously I cherish this picture. It was taken on May 21, 1993, the day before I left for USA. My father was working 18 hour days, physical work, everyday of the week in spite of his Asthma and severe pain from his radiation and chemo therapies for cancer. He did that for more than a decade, with the only goal of educating his children. You can see the toll of that hard work on him.

My entire family, worked along with my father with the single goal of providing for my education. For which, I am eternally indebted. My sister and little brothers, helped my mother with the work, each and every day, when their peers were playing outside. I remember and cherish each and every moment; there is so much to share.

Even though, we all worked hard and had so little in terms of material, you won't believe how happy each and every one of us was. I can honestly say, I was much happier then, than I was when making $100,000 a year as a 26 year old in America, leaving family 1000s of miles away.

My father always believed in me, much more than I believed in myself. He knew I will achieve in academics and one day will go to America, even before I had the faintest idea how to or even if I will ever do it. This was the day his hard work was coming to fruition.

Anonymous EJ said...

This post made me cry..i remembered my own family and countless others that give all they have for the sake of their children. Your's is a great family and you are a worthy son..

August 11, 2009 6:52 PM
Blogger Shan R Shanmuganathan said...

Thanks EJ. Our parents had set great examples we should try hard to emulate.
-- Shan

October 10, 2009 8:33 AM

<< Home